Monday, February 9, 2009

the media influence told me to mug those people and rob a store

 

            I agree with Kendall’s assertion in that the media does not mirror society. Media fills a void. Society wants something and based off of any pattern it can develop it provides it. This can be seen by every portrayal and theme of seeming and viewing the wealthy and elite. While this may seem as a societal desire to be wealthy it is merely a commercially driven occurrence set into motion out of an attempt to understand and experience the things that society cannot understand. It isn’t necessarily a cultural desire to be rich, but maybe an indignance that those who don’t work hard are given pleasures beyond our dreams. The media shows what is comforting to us, middle class consumer America. We want to feel reassured that those beneath us are bumbling fools and it isn’t our fault or problem to look back behind us. We want to feel the possibilities before us. These whole desires were given by the media in an attempt to market and now its as guilty a pleasure as any. Our social perceptions may also be semi affected. WE don’t necessarily base all our opinions off of media input, but stereo types are picked up, even in a mocking way, and parroted by society. This eventually permeates all levels of culture. The one point I do disagree with is the idea that TV inclines us to run up credit card debts. Theoretically, the media inspires us all to amass wealth and whatever our whim of the day may be. That doesn’t inhibit common sense and make you go out and use whatever means necessary to shop your self into a fanciful coma. 

3 comments:

Steve N. said...

I agree with you for the most part Patrick but, I think that the media does support a destructive buying habit that many in our nation follow. I believe you are correct in saying that the media drives us to amass wealth but that is were they problem lies. Our nations sees this wealth that people on TV have amassed and relate it to the cloths they wear and the cars they drive. They try and mock this lifestyle on an average citizens budget all because the media portrays the "perfect lifestyle" as the rich lifestyle.

chuckles said...

I agree with Steve, sorry Pat. I gave an example in my blog on how the media does influence the amount that we spend. I gave the example of how there are actually people diagnosed as "shopaholics" because they don't have enough money to keep buying things, yet they go out and buy unnecessary stuff anyway. They want to look like the rich and famous so they spend their money even though they shouldn't be spending. Oh and Steve, you spelled clothes wrong.

Arnold Friend said...

I think that you put the issue very well by saying that TV is, above all, commercially driven. This is very true. The media is not attempting to make us change our societal views or make us want to be rich, it is just giving us what we want. I think this is dangerous, though, because there are inherent stereotypes that are picked up. Good job Patty, I agree with you.