Wednesday, February 18, 2009

down with the institution

            As far as it goes, schooling would only be unnecessary in a world where one or both parents could stay home to educate their children up to an 8th grade level. At this point basic knowledge is acquired and a general interest of what field or place in society they might fill has been narrowed down. Since parents can’t do this fundamental schooling is essential. When a high school level education follows I do not find it practical or necessary to fulfill an entire curriculum that is not relevant to your life. While I personally think US history is knowledge we should all possess in the United States, it is in fact, and sadly enough, irrelevant and unknown to a large portion of our population. High school is where specialization begins to occur, but not on a precise enough level. To this extent schooling is unnecessary beyond developing social interactions and relationships with peers. It gives you a general dose of real life while pushing your knowledge. I think our educative system is designed to narrow down and focus progressively, but it might not move fast enough. Some students may find themselves progressively more and more bored the higher up they go. I think this is an early sign of where they might end up socially in society, but it does not necessarily mean it will happen. School isn’t vital; you can learn basic skills and values at home. What becomes important is the specification of the set of skills you decided to take beyond a fundamental level.

2 comments:

Erin Healey said...

Patrick-
I agree that many subjects that we take in school are irrelevant in our every days lives. I too wrote about the need to go to school to be part of the social environment. I know kids that are home schooled and they lack the social skills that other kids have.

MF said...

Yeah, you and I had the same take on this. However, I simply stated that by abolishing school in general, parents would be able to teach their kids as they worked. However, the problem with that is society gets caught in a loop. I do agree with you when you talk about specialization starting in highschool, and I found your final analysis of schooling very interesting.