Apart from generally agreeing with the overall ideas of the essay I was struck by three things. The first is the commentary on the pictures, the second is the overall opinions on switching gender roles, and the third was the multiple examples of modern sexual harassment in elementary to middle school. To begin with, although it is true that some of the pictures were flat out creepy and twisted I’m not sure they were entirely enterpreted appropriately. I’ll be the first to agree that an ad to sell women’s jeans featuring her being hauled off by three men is frightening. Between that and the gun ads I find that all disturbing. I do however think that the couch ad, the woman in the door, and the make up ad were a little out of proportion. The couch ad was simply strange. The “pre-pubescent” girl being spied on looked old enough to be a young mother (27-9). The other “punched in the eyes” suggestion was completely nuts. The girl just had on make up... She didn’t look battered. I think the gender role swapping was pretty offbased. As far as it goes a peeping tom kid in half the examples is still wrong and creepy. I’m not so sure some of those ads for women showing scantily clad men are that targeting and wrong. For the most part they’re just like the boy ads. The last and most disturbing part was about the reports of assault. Although the small children cases are particularly creepy, I guess in some sick sense they’re just troubled kids with messed up lives. What isn’t tolerable or understandable to me is the cases of middle or highschool assault. If guys did half the stuff that were reported in the essay anywhere near half the boys I know they’d get their asses kicked. I’m not saying a lot of people I know don’t do very shallow, objective things towards girls, but the extent at which they were happening in the book seem ridiculous.
Monday, February 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment