Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Goodwill take 2

            Today I attempted to apply the Toulmin system to my organization: Goodwill. As far as it goes, I think everything went relatively straight forward, but the only thing I wasn’t expecting to have to do was looking about statistics and information based on counter arguments. As far as it goes, you can go to your organization’s actual site and find all of the pro arguments and actions of what it does. What I found you had to do for a good argument was find the average amount of donations actually applied to the cause (which I couldn’t.) What I was able to find however was the annual amount of income dispensed on apparel and clothing per year in an urban environment. For me this was very beneficial to help argue why cheap clothing at Goodwill is beneficial and it also shows that over time you should accumulatively have much more than you actually need. This helps me present the argument that Goodwill is unique in a sense that money and volunteer work isn’t the only way to provide opportunities and help for others. By small donations of clothing and things you probably consider out of date rags, you have the chance to benefit others. 

2 comments:

JD said...

WOW. I find it very exciting that you were able to apply the Toulmein system to the organization already. I envy the ease of your ability to find the your necessary information. Your blog triggered minute agreement to the ideas behind your cause.

JD said...
This comment has been removed by the author.