Monday, October 6, 2008

Goodwill <-- It's in the name

At first, I couldn’t think of a single organization off the top of my head, and google wasn’t as helpful as you may think. What hit me surprisingly was something I drive by fairly often and see at multiple locations across Indiana. Goodwill is an organization that does many things in local communities and provides an easy center to pick up used items and money to benefit others. This works for me, because I have a Goodwill literally a mile away and I used to go in their with my mom and to this day I still drop things off their from old clothes to old furniture. After looking up their website I also found out what else Goodwill does apart from provide cheap clothes and money to benefit the poor and homeless. Their mission statement is literally to help the impoverished and welfare users of local communities find jobs and improve their lifestyles and social standings through the benefits and progress of work. Last year local Goodwills provided 1.1 million people with job opportunities or aided them in some way. To me this is something you can easily over look and don’t expect to see from a chain of stores spread across the US. When I think “helps the unfortunate” I don’t think, “Oh yeah that huge store next to Sears across from Target.”

No comments: