Tuesday, October 21, 2008
seeking individual opportunity may cause car accidents leading to death
Willie Loman thinks individual opportunity is there to be had by the gifted. He particularly believes this of himself and his family. He has established such a strong sense of pride and self accomplishment that he believes himself well established and deservedly above others around him. You can look at Biff as his shining example. Biff was the arrogant football star who could steal what he wanted because he was well liked, and he could turn his back on academics and ‘know’ that he’d still get in college, while others, Bernard, worked hard, but wouldn’t amount to much based off of who they were. Through Bernard, Arthur Miller must think that it is possible through perseverance and humbleness. Bernard was walked on by others and used in their attempts to climb beyond him, but in the end through his own work ethic and sweat he was able to reach beyond those that attempted to go above him. He ended up working cases in the Supreme Court while Biff became a clepto and his life fell apart. I think his whole argument throughout the play was showing the right attitude and way to go about achieving new heights and wealth and what paths will condemn you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I agree with a lot of what you're saying here patty. I like your identification of Biff as arrogant, which is something I believe and am glad to see I'm not the only one to see him in that light. I also like your description of Bernard, he is a somewhat minor character and i havn't thought of him in as much depth as you have. Essentially, I agree with what you're saying and appreciate the indepth and different views on characters.
Post a Comment