Monday, December 1, 2008

Let us Play GTA IV while we Ponder

So I took a cursory glance down my options today since I’ve already got a good idea about what I want. What I found was a combination of random citeless information, most of which was either claiming neutrality and fence riding on whether or not aggression could be linked with video game violence. Among the anarchy of news reports and blogs, I did manage to find two clear articles both pro and against this argument from seemingly credible sources. One was from a PhD and the other a child psychologist. Both credibly argued their points and seem valid, but the internet does seem biased and lacking substance on the side of defending video games. It’ll be easy to find and examine arguments against video games, which will be nice when I plan on ripping them apart. What will take some time is looking up other credible sources who defend them. I was also surprised to see the volume of focus from politicians. It wasn’t simply lawyers and news casters making it an issue and riling up distressed parents. Among the things I found were a blog about gamer relief that Hillary Clinton would be in Obama’s cabinet, so she would no longer be a threat to the industry. There was also one fearing OBama’s approach to the issue as president. I found this amusing since the video game industry seems like the least of his worries at the moment, and I think we’ll all be safe at the moment. 

3 comments:

JD said...

You have chosen a very interesting topic obviously overridden with sentiment, but I must inquire that which you wish to propose, for as far as I can see your argument advocates for the status quo. How aghast might your audience be if they discovered that your proposal advocates changing something to the state at which it already exists! The horror that will grasp them! They may acquire the specious opinion that video game production has terminated and that the studies of aggression have prevailed! I would suggest to you Patrick, that you refrain from giving them this perfidious opinion. Unless of course, you wish to dispute the continuation of a proposal which has already been enacted.

Steve N. said...

I think this is a really interesting topic Patrick. As a fellow gamer and Socum/COD 4 player think this is actually a kinda important issue. I don't think it is really an issue for the Obama campaign and Im glad that most politicians don't take stands on it. Crazy parents are the reason for child violence not video games!

J. Ray said...

What i think JD is saying is that you shouldn't let your personal opinions cloud your argument in case your research leads you to find something that conflicts with your viewpoint. I agree with you, and the over exaggeration of this issue is truly disconcerting, but be prepared to modify your thesis in case your research inexorably shows the violence of videogames causes some rise in aggression.