I believe in a reasonable rate of return. No, but I really believe that our society is backwards and the amount of effort put into our chosen lifestyles generally limits and hinders individuality and growth while taking up a large portion of our lives. Typically the only sure guarantees through schooling that involve monetary success require an intellect and years of training: primary, secondary, high school, college, grad school, or law school… This in turn, can take a lot of money should you not already be able to find or produce the funds on your own ensuring crippling debt and even slower progress. The tests and challenges that meet us our fleeting and merely seem catastrophic in their instance, while in the grand scheme they’re just as important as whether or not I had chocolate or vanilla cake for my 6th birthday. Our system is built in an unoriginal and crippling manner. Before I seem anarchist, understand that no system breaches this realm and truly creates equality of chance and life. What I am saying is simply that life is fleeting and whether we’re concerned with good colleges, SAT scores, or whatever be it, we may end up at the same place and find it’s just as bodily and spiritually limiting as our most esteemed or lowly acquaintances. Birth grants advantages, but the money and ability to take advantage of these various systems merely makes our existence within them seem more accommodating and comfortable. There lacks the sense of adventure and lifelong pursuit in the general population once they are told to grow up and follow something that will grant them more tangible and “successful” results.
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Wow, I'm totally impressed by this. I also agree that society needs to be turned around. "Success" desperately needs to be redefined, especially since it seems to be becoming more and more about being defined by a number, which I definitely have a problem with.
I'm with you Patrick, our society is mainly a bunch of people "working jobs they hate so they can buy things they don't need." I also think that our system has really destroyed the sense of adventure, seeing as no one has a way of proving themselves anymore. Now the only determining factor is a salary, and it seems that for the most part, everyone is locked in their current level. Because like you said, the people that become lawyers or doctors make the most money. But to reach those professions you must pay large sums to be trained, and only the people who come from families with doctors and lawyers can afford that training.
The United States, no doubt, is established on a system that is set up for others to fail and it does need restructuring. In this way I agree with you Patrick. Many of the pursuits Americans hold are shallow and only superficially for filling but, I would like to just make a point to say America harbors the power to change this way of life. The United States has a political system like no other in this world or in history.
So, basically you're saying that we should all live in the moment. Hmm, I can see that.
You say your solution isn't anarchy, then what is it?
Also, you say that we've lost the sense of adventure, but you're being very self-centric. There are plenty of people who see adventure in their everyday lives.
Finally, I don't see what's wrong with forward thinking. If it makes me feel better to 'worry' about colleges, then that's my business. As long as I keep it under control, i see nothing wrong with that.
Everyone can live in the moment, but for many it's a personality/ personal preference thing to choose not to.
Post a Comment