Tuesday, May 5, 2009

happy ending?

            The end of the book is completely depressing. It is probably the most depressing thing I’ve read in a very long time since I Am Legend (and I don’t mean the warped Will Smith cinematic take on it). What probably makes this book the most depressing and difficult to read is the fact that the conclusions reached by Johnny are completely accurate and most likely one hundred percent true. No one wants to talk to the utterly crippled human pulp of war and understand its humbled take on life. They just want to decorate it, make it a standard to rally the troops, and plunge forward all the while forgetting about it. The fact is that current soldiers and those hoping to gain more numbers do not want the maimed survivors to be able to speak or show the true face of violence. This encumbers and destroys the support. It doesn’t seem all too unlikely that the government or army would also bury this person if they attempted to raise hell. Johnny draws too much attention in their eyes by merely flopping on a bed with one person exposed to him at a time. This causes them to dope him up and silence him, but it’s clearly obvious that were he able to actually retain any one of his former limbs or senses they might have few qualms with quarantining him to a similar state to the one he actually exists in.

2 comments:

J. Ray said...

Ya, I agree, it is certainly quite sad.
The force of nationalism is like a high that the government doesn't want to stop. They fear anything that could stop this force, and that's why they shut Joe in a little, forgotten room.
But I wonder, would Joe's reveal really stop anything?
If he did do his worldwide tour against war, I doubt it would really stop anything. In my opinion, that is the real tragedy.

Steve N. said...

I agree with you as well Patrick. The novel does have a depressing ending. I was wondering why Miss Lamags never had us read any happy books this year but, I suppose our focus is on intense issue which are inevitably emotion. The entire novel is just one intense mixture of feelings after the next and the book leaves you wandering why a nation would ever fight war but, as I consider its message I can't help but recall the sentiments shared on grandparents day. We all have different perspectives.