Thursday, May 7, 2009

i'm no vegetarian... make me a carcass not a vegetable

            I’m not entirely sure what you mean by desires, however, there are a few possibilities as to what it could be. My main thoughts are that it is his desire to live and to spread his message to the world. While it could very well be just a physical need for human interaction, I feel these bigger purposes are what truly motivated him and accommodated all of his necessities and urges as a being. He feels that he can serve others and the world by putting a face on violence and war. This could possibly halt the violence and unnecessary deaths all the while paying for his life and allowing him to interact with humans out  in the world. Even though he would be in a glass case and would terrify every being he came into contact with, for him it’s a purpose and a means of experiencing the world in his present state. This is all better than being cooped up mentally with no outlets to allow him to feel more human and to give his life any semblance of meaning. If I were in his situation, I would be insane and want to be offed. Unplug me should I be in his spot. Documentation of my existence alone would be sufficient to prove that war is awful. Those given the chance to survive violence may not always want to remain in their state with no chance of returning to their previous lives.

1 comment:

Steve N. said...

I think it is interesting that you wouldn't do the same in his position. It is hard to really put myself fulling into Joe's situation but I am not sure that i could ever make the conscious decision to kill myself when I still had some idea of possible ways I could impact the world. I think Joe, if he would have been able to leave the hospital, would have shocked the world and at least made a good anti-war story (oh wait he did)...But in all seriousness I think your reasoning behind wanting to just die in that position is valid. If the end of this story had been altered so that Joe did die by his own accord, the story would have just been as intense.