Friday, April 24, 2009

Summer Blockbusters

This summer will be the release of numerous anticipated films. Amongst the typical smash and grab action films, where the sudden violent robbery on screen is no different than the point of this movie in stealing your money in its first few weeks, are the summers main foci. Between fillers the summer actually kicks off in theaters in May. From expansions and remakes of old concepts and story lines to the next in a long series with a bewitched following, the summer proves to be promising both in content and in sales revenues. Two films to keep an eye out for apart from whatever might catch your eye and be widely publicized are Public Enemies in July and Inglorious Bastards in August. The idea of the next Harry Potter is appealing to many, myself included, but it takes a persistent theater enthusiast to uncover the stories and trailers of under publicized movies. Public Enemies features a 40's Capone-esque mob boss (Depp) and his cop hound (Bale). With Christian Bale being shown wrestling robots and climbing threw apocalyptic dumpsters its no surprise that this more subtle film has slipped under the radar. The last movie is unsurprisingly somewhat of a secret and placed at the end of the summer. Two words: Quentin Tarantino... This Nazi film may carry recognizable stars, Pitt among them, but the concept of this early Italian film has gone way beyond its predecessor. Torture and maiming run rampant in this under the radar film as Tarantino threw on some final touches in Europe this year...

1 comment:

MF said...

Patrick, when talking about Public Enemies I hope you know it's about Dillinger, but I'm pretty sure you know that. I like what you're saying about "under the radar" movies though, because it's so true. Some truly great movies get blocked out by the explosions and giant robots of the biggest movies. Though I have to say I'm incredibly excited for Inglorious Bastards. However, if it weren't for Henry, I would not know a thing about this movie, or even that it existed until I saw a preview at another movie. That's just the misfortune of under the radar movies.