Yes, I support gay marriage rights. Even if I didn’t take into account the numerous people and family members that I know who are gay, I would still support gay marriage. I would think this on the fundamental level of human rights. Growing up in a democratic society where I’ve been taught to treat people the same as I want to be treated, it just seems logical and natural. The fact that it is a complicated issue almost seems absurd to me. I can follow the arguments and train of thought geared by religious belief, although I may disagree. It’s the people who are against it without religious cause that bother me the most. It’s homophobia and fear that keeps these people in this light. It is truly sad because it’s not their fault they think this way, but they must still be considered in the view of their own ways of thinking even if they were taught. This is why I believe in gay marriage rights. It’s a combination of a sense of equality and the fact that I see no good reason why me, or any other person for that matter, should tell gays otherwise.
Thursday, April 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I agree Patty. Marriage rights should be awarded to everyone no matter what. I don't feel there is any pretense to not giving anybody the same rights that most other Americans enjoy. They only part that I am a little skeptical about is the fact that you let ignorant people by too easily. To some degree I blame their environment but, at some point people need to be accountable for their beliefs or else they will never question why they believe them.
I like this argument. It seems to me that it's only fair. I guess I just don't see the fabric of society crumbling because we legalize gay marriage. It just doesn't seem plausible. I also think that legalization could break down much of the homophobia that you have described, which is obviously a good thing.
You're right that it shouldn't be an issue at all. America was built on equal rights, and although it took a while to acknowledge this, marriage rights should be granted to everyone. If gay marriage was legalized, it probably would break a lot of the homophobia surrounding us.
Post a Comment