Monday, March 2, 2009
read my own words
I believe Wright is justified. The only thing that makes me hesitate is whether I, or anyone else for that matter, would be able to follow suit. I think societal life threatening pressures are a difficult thing to over come even as far as moral values that are ingrained in your being go. It speaks a great deal about him that he was able to face authority and the domineering system and go against it. Even the ability to speak out against a crowd consisting of Whites says a lot about him and his character. He sacrificed a safe future in the South, bribes, and personal safety merely to secure his own personal beliefs. This is justifiable, but foolish. His actions clearly send him on a path of isolation and rebellion. I’m honestly surprised he bended his will to hold the optics factory job. The main reason I think it was necessary for him was its use as a marker for how he would be unable to advance in the Southern world on his own while still resisting the influence of that system unscathed. This lesson would become paralleled with that of his bending his will in the ‘factory’ and still meeting unfair treatment and cruelty. I think by choosing both paths he was able to reach the conclusion that there was no guarantee of survival and well being under any circumstances in the community in which he lived.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I agree with you Patrick. It was tremendously courageous of Wright to go ahead and give his speech in front of whites, knowing full well that it could possibly offend them, but i would have to disagree with your comment about it being 'foolish'. Or I would at least ask you to give more context because as it stands it makes Wright seem incorrect in giving his speech. I think what you were trying to say was that Wright was impractical in doing it in terms of societal issues that would arise but that it was morally justified.
Post a Comment