Monday, November 3, 2008

racism = bad

Growing up I’ve attended schools with either diverse groups or a high emphasis on cultural and ethnic understanding. What I’ve also witnessed growing within these open-minded groups, is a paralleled annoyance and cavalier attitude towards race. To me there is no difference between the educated and uneducated prejudices and attitudes. A large public school black kid will crack racist jokes at a white kid as nothing more than entertaining himself or others around him, while that same white kid may make racist jokes about blacks behind closed doors the minute his school presents something on tolerance. I wouldn’t consider either of these instances as racist, but I would agree that they are both ignorantly indifferent and fed up with an attitude that tells them they cannot be racist and it’s bad. Both of these kids harbor prejudices developed from the systems they grew up in, but these were learned by their places in life. The scenario I’m most familiar with, being a white kid, is the latter. It is frustrating to think about because in many cases it doesn’t necessarily bother me. Unless it’s completely unnecessary and racist, I’ve sat in on my fair share of jokes and comments that were just meant as side comments and in my opinion you can try and understand them as much as you want, but to some extent they will always exist.

2 comments:

MF said...

Wow, I know every comment everyone gives is "I totally agree, your points are very valid and I've had similar experiences." But, seriously this is a perfect explanation of the situation that I've found myself in and I'm sure many others have. It's just like you said, people are fed up with being told relentlessly that they are lesser people for holding a singular prejudice thought, even though these prejudices will always exist to some degree as either serious racism or something that will break a laugh out of someone.

boboflojo said...

Patrick, your words ring true. I am a a perpatuator of this as well, and I have even said my share of slightly racist jokes. The intent is never meant to be negative, but only for the sake of a joke. Yes, this can be considered racist, and if someone were to call me a racist, I would most likely let it go because I know that I am not. If anything, they deserve pity for being somewhat narrow minded. There are much more serious things going on in terms of racism, and something like a hate crime should not go by unnoticed, but a situation involving a simple jole should just be ignored. Screw political correctness. :)