Sunday, November 2, 2008

prejudice

The socialization process is the process in which individuals acquire values, beliefs, attitudes, etc… of their culture or subculture. I believe it happens on a much smaller scale than culture as a whole, but within family units or close social ties to communities you’re at home with these things may perpetuate. Furthering your education, expanding your social circles, and other practices can break or make these trends. If you expand your education and learn new information and aspects you may develop your own personal values, as you may with individuals by interacting with new and different groups. In the same way, you may have these negative attitudes reinforced and made concrete if you’re surrounded and preached the same beliefs and cannot expand or move forward. There are things of this nature which I am positive have existed and permeated within me. The personal values of my parents exist in me to this day and are difficult to break away from since I was in fact brought up with those in mind. To this day I still get all of my work done on or ahead of time. The more prejudiced notions are picked up through social interactions where it may be “safe,” and unfortunately as much as I’d like to say they dissipated over time when the kids group up, these kids are just bigger and typically just as stupid on some things as they were when they were small and repeat the same offensive ignorant behavior. Now the only difference is that it bothers me.  

No comments: