The proposal to switch the opium trade from drug trafficking to medical purposes is possible, but not practical. The article even admits this towards the end, but I don’t believe it’s as light a problem as they treat it. The article states that politics is the main focus of the issue and by aiding the country, we could win over the government. What I don’t think is taken into account is weakness of government, its ties to drug lords, and farmers ties to the drug lords. In some cases I doubt they’re all running around and taking drugs by force, business partnerships probably plays a major roll in the whole business. This isn’t as simple as switching the supplies from one buyer to another without upsetting an entire system. Statistically the numbers argue the point affectively and it sounds great, but realistically there are a lot of what ifs that could throw off the whole idea. What could and probably should be stated is the fact that it’s worth a shot. Saving the extra 178 million for a year and purchasing a hefty supply of opium wouldn’t exactly kill anyone. It’d make friendly ties and mix things up just to see what happens. It doesn’t have to be a permanent thing.
Monday, November 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Somehow I knew you'd do the opium one patty...but like always I agree. I think that the relationships between the drug lords, farmers, and government. I think that these relationships are key points to consider in policy to eliminate the drug trad beacuase they are what truly fuels the drug blackmarket.
I agree with your blog. I didn't really think to much about the difficulties that would come with working with other weaker governments. Working with weak governments would make project an extremely unlikely task. I don't think this proposal is terrible convincing because of the fact that it is so improbable.
Post a Comment