I believe torture is a practical necessity that must be addressed and dealt with accordingly. In a world where there are radicals that seek to drive fear and chaos into the hearts of millions by attacking the public at any place and any time. In principal, it is fighting fire with fire. It is unrealistic and fake to pretend that anything else could be used to fight a mentalities where many may just assume die than tell you anything. The only danger with these kinds of powers are those who use them. You can’t have some fool in charge who just grabs anyone who has met a terrorist or criminal and torture them to tell you what you want. Someone with their head on their shoulders who can remain emotionally detached is required. It must always remain strictly objective and used as an utter last resort. I believe everyone lies. After that everyone has a breaking point where they’ll tell the truth. Beyond that point of honesty there is such a thing as being in so much pain that you’ll say and believe you’re the king of England just to get out of it. Torture isn’t tricky and may not always be the answer, but it’s a solution to a problem where many have already forfeit their rights and personal health by getting into a line of work where they harm others for a living.
Monday, September 8, 2008
To Torture or Not to Torture
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I agree with you that torture is, in some cases, unavoidable. But I think to call it a practical necessity is pushing it. I think the statement makes it sound like it should become a habit, and I disagree with that.
Post a Comment