I am naturally inclined to pick the ‘print the biotech ingredients on the label side.’ I feel that it is our right to know what goes into these foods even at our own cost. I’ve never looked at a food label and understood half of the crap on it, so why would more unknowns confuse me anymore than what’s already there? It’s better to go into your purchases at least having the option of finding out what’s in your foods. If some study surfaces later about how ingredient x is bad and we never knew it went into our foods there could be significant problems. If it was printed there all along and no one knew of its effects, it wouldn’t be such a big deal. I think in the long run printing the labels is a better decision and I honestly doubt the idea that a majority of Americans read food labels when shopping. The only counter arguments I’d side with are the idea of costs going up if the food isn’t even noticeably different than its counter part. In that case for widespread distribution in a world where people starve daily, I’d be ok with a little bio-engineered food sticker being smacked onto things as opposed to a full blown secondary list of ingredients in order to keep costs down.
Saturday, September 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment